Wednesday, December 11, 2013

2013 Football Season - Week 13 / SEC Championship Game / My Birthday

As stated in a previous post, I was tricked into going to see Auburn play in the SEC Championship game. Evidently, Robbie knew all along that Auburn would be in the championship game. So he brought it up at the beginning of the season, so I would think I was agreeing to see Alabama, or at worse LSU or A&M play in it. I never in a million years thought Auburn would be playing in it. But Robbie did & he tricked me. The good news is, since Robbie knew Auburn would go all the way this year, when no one else did, I'm sure he bet money on it, so I'm sure I'm getting a super nice Christmas present this year. :)
 
I've given Robbie a hard enough time on it. We really did have a great weekend, even if it did consist of me watching Auburn play football on my birthday whiling wearing colors that made me look like a bumblebee. There were lots of other super fun parts of the weekend.
 
We got into town Friday night & Robbie made us reservations at 9 at this great sushi/seafood restaurant. One really weird thing about me, is how I eat. I either love something, or I hate it and there is no rhyme or reason. For instance, I hate ketchup & spaghetti but love pizza. I love dill pickles, but hate dill relish. I hate meatloaf, but love squid salad.
Squid Salad - delish!

Great sushi!
Saturday morning, Robbie made us reservations for brunch at Einstein's. He had arranged car service for us for the day, so that was nice to not have to worry about driving & parking. After brunch, we headed towards the GA dome. We met up with some friends before the game and then starting walking to the game. On the way, Robbie stopped me and handed me my birthday card. Inside was his birthday gift to me...
 
I'm getting to see George Strait on his final tour with my best friend! Neither Stephanie nor I have ever seen George in concert. We've tried for years, but we could either not get tickets, or we couldn't find a location close enough with a date that worked for both of us. When Robbie saw the tour dates released & saw he was playing in Atlanta in March, he called Jonathan, Stephanie's husband, and they put a plan in motion. Stephanie got her ticket for her anniversary in October and then I got my ticket for my birthday. So Steph & I are finally getting to see George in concert! So excited!!

After my birthday gift, we headed inside the dome. The dome was definitely neat. Very crowded, very excited. There were only about 5 Missouri fans there, and let's face it, it's Missouri, so the crowd wasn't as upbeat as the GA or AL game. But it was still fun.

 
I still couldn't shake the Alabama loss, so there was no way I was wearing orange or blue to the game. I wore a black dress & yellow scarf. It was my day to be a Missouri fan. And then I realized being a Missouri fan wasn't that much fun. I don't think Missouri has a slogan they say to fellow fans (or if they do, I never heard it). Like Auburn fans say "War Eagle" when they see another Auburn fan. And Alabama fans say "Roll Tide" when they see other Alabama fans. Missouri fans say nothing. Or maybe they knew I was an imposter? Or maybe they thought my yellow scarf was orange?  
me & Robbie
 
The Bush's were very sweet to let this Missouri fan have one of their
tickets to attend the game.
Chuck, Judy, me & Robbie
During the halftime, they had a girl & boy play in the Dr. Pepper challenge. The boy's name was Brooks (my BIL's name) and the girl's name was Lindsay (my sister's name, just spelled differently). Ha! 
I'm not sure anyone else was amused
Auburn won and the celebration took off. I will never pull for Auburn, but I am happy that my husband & in-law's could leave the game happy and excited about playing in the national championship game.

So now Auburn will play FSU for the national championship.
 
The last 7 years, the winner of that game has been from the SEC.
 
The last 4 years, the winner of that game has been from the state of Alabama.
 
Don't blow it Auburn!

No comments: